Monday, February 11, 2013

Lent

In my last post I talked about how some things have become distractions that keep us from growing spiritually, such as tv. This leads us right into Lent. 

We typically connect Lent with giving things up or in other words, self-denial. 99% of American households own at least one tv. On average every American spends 5 hours and 11 minutes watching television each day. That's about 36 hours and 15 minutes a week; nearly a full time job.

Would you like to guess the average time bible readers spend immersed in God's word each day? Seven minutes.

 I am going to take part in Lent for the first time this year. And I am going to give up tv shows and movies. The time that I would normally spend watching those I will spend on reading the bible, listening to sermons, or listening to podcasts about youth ministry.

I challenge you to do the same. Or if you can honestly say tv isn't a problem for you, then I challenge you to give up whatever it is that distracts you from God and growing closer to him. Spend that extra time you will have deepening that relationship.



P.S  Lent starts on Ash Wednesday which is February 13 this year. That's this Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment